Saturday, September 22, 2007

"Small" Things "Big" Lessons

I like to think of myself as a person who is on his way to a successful lifestyle. In thinking back to how I got this way I am reminded of all the things I did when I was in middle and high school that got me to this point. Those are the kinds of things I want to do with Successful Brothers. I would like to take as many of those SMALL things as I can and use them to teach BIG Lessons. Sometimes we don’t realize how important and helpful the little things we do are.
Prefect example, when I was a first year in the Freedom Project Mr. Myers decided to put me on the Wish List. It was a list of all the things that the Freedom Project needed to continue. The list demanded a person who was outspoken and commanding. Two things I was not. The first few people walked passes me and on to the more interesting displays. Eventually I decided that the next person who passed I would talk to them, and I did. A little thing like being forced to take a position I was unaccustomed to gave me confidence to do things I had ever done before. That couple I spoke to was Mr. and Mrs. Hendrix. Years later, when the Freedom Project started a sponsor program where students wrote letters to supports, the Hendrix would request me as the student who wrote them letters. Once again a little thing like being forced to take a position I was unaccustomed to gave me the ability to network. They didn’t have to give me money or anything like that I just wrote them letters. To this day I still have a relationship with the Hendrix though those letters I wrote for 4 years.
Those letters served a different purpose. They kept the Hendrixs updated on what was happening in the Freedom Project and forced me to write often. Once a month I would sit down and write a letter to them. I would have my letter looked over as I watched. The person correcting the letter and myself would go though each line and discuss each mistake. Over time I no longer made those same mistakes in my writing. I became a word smith and very acquainted with my good friends Webster and Thesaurus.
Once again little things like being forced to take a position I was unaccustomed to helped improve my writing.
That’s why I would like to make that same writing sponsorship program in to Successful Brothers. I would like all Successful Brothers to have a sponsor to whom they write letter once a month. My hope is that just as writing letters to the Hendrixs vastly improved my writing skills over the years, these sponsorships will help improve the writing skills of Successful Brothers.
Now all I need are sponsors, people who are willing to get to know a great dedicated young men and Freedom Project updates to volunteer to be the recipients of these letters. From experience I know it is very helpful to the students and I am told that each letter cerates a since of competence, connection, and happiness between the student and you.

Successful Brother
Chris Perkins

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home